Carving a pumpkin is never an easy task but always a fun family project to accomplish for Halloween and the month of October. There are a few important rules of carving to follow which will make this messy and creative project worth your while!
1. Buy carving tools! This sounds intense but I promise it’s not. Carving tools can be found at Target or many grocery stores and are cheap! This will make carving so much easier, you will wonder why you have attempted carving with a kitchen knife for so many years prior.
2. Use a stencil! This is something you can draw up yourself if you have an artistic side to you. Otherwise, many Halloween stencils can be purchased and are easy to trace with the carving tools. Then, you simply pop out the unwanted pumpkin pieces and you have yourself a perfect carving.
3. Buy your pumpkin ahead of time! If your pumpkin is a few days old prior to carving, it is softer and easier to manage when cutting.
4. Feel free to not cut all the way through! This picture is a VERY good example but not as hard as it looks. A screw driver works perfectly. It allows you to scrape off the orange, leaving behind the white, making some cool designs.
5. Make this a family project! Carving a pumpkin can be timely, but if you have more hands in the pumpkin, it will be much faster. This isn’t only important for efficiency but worth creating valuable memories.
The thought of carving a pumpkin doesn’t seem too difficult, but when you finally sit in front of your big orange Halloween decoration, you will quickly realize it is not as easy as you hoped. Take out the stress of carving and this will be a great activity for your family. You can even invite over neighbors and have a traditional pumpkin carving contest! Happy Halloween and we would love to see your creations!